Monday, July 15, 2013

Lori and Wayne's story

Lori and Wayne
For Wayne and I, our journey began with me walking out of the doctor’s office with a handful of prescriptions at age 49. All I could think was “If it’s this bad now, what will this be like in a few years?” I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, acid reflux, joint and muscle aches and pains, a fatty liver and a bad attitude. This wasn’t my first rodeo but I decided, one more time, it wouldn’t be my last. So I began searching for a way to make a change and started by trying to find a magic bullet, a lapband. Well, after listening in, doing the research and visiting the surgeon, I knew full well that lapband would only continue to perpetuate the need for me to be “full” to be okay. While the medical community, bless them, has looked for a method to “cure” obesity, they are seriously behind the eight ball. I knew it at that moment, and I know it now. I walked out of the surgeon’s office understanding that it really would have to come down to the hard work of the how’s and why’s of my eating as well as my willingness to embrace a lifestyle change. And yes, that sounds cliche I realize, but it is true.
I was still searching for the right thing (which actually just translates into procrastinating) when my sister introduced me to this program. At 246 pounds, 5'4" I took a step out in faith. I put one foot in front of the other, day in, day out, week in, week out. My husband was an accidental tourist in this journey and once he started losing weight as a byproduct of my changing eating habits, he jumped on program full force. So - 140 pounds between us gone. As a result of weight loss, my doctor was able to lower 3 different medications AND I am happy to say, 3 years later I just visited my physician’s office and my blood work is great and my blood pressure is perfect as a result of weight loss! What does this boil down to? Well, you know in your heart that there really is no magic bullet because if there were, Oprah would have it! Secondly, you also know in your heart it truly does have to come down to you and your willingness to step out in faith. The beautiful thing is, with the help of a health coach as this program offers, you have someone who has walked the walk, felt the struggles and will buddy up with you so you are never in it alone. Go ahead - take a step - I dare ya!
So who is going to take the dare?? : ) Dare to take back your health!!

Lori.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment