Tuesday, September 24, 2013

1/2 marathon momma

                               

                                            I have decided to start training for a 1/2 marathon.

These pics were taken after a workout, Josh my hubby is mostly responsible



A few weeks ago, I was feeling lost and directionless.  I had become goalless and so I became directionless and so exercising was taking a soft simmer on the back burner.  And then my brother-in-law, Tanner, started talking about running a half marathon. It reminded me of past goals, of how I've wanted to run a marathon or a 1/2 marathon ever since my older sister Leah did when her children were younger... probably the same age as mine.  And so, in the midst of my insane life, where running a half marathon seems the least logical thing for me to do... well, I'm being a little crazy and running a marathon, 1/2 marathon that is.  Go Me!

Just an average momma 


So, far I've been using the Hal Higdon training program and have really enjoyed it. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program I did have one unexpected surprise though.  I got so used to just seeing the 3, 4, or 5 mile run that I missed the words underneath... and strength training.  So, I have now combined some of my runs with a good workout DVD at home.  Jillian Michaels and Patricia Moreno are two of my favorites.  In fact, I just bought the new Yoga Inferno DVD and I am weirdly excited.  Who get's excited about intentionally hurting yourself?  Me!  It's the endorphins that pay back for the pain.

Seriously, see the endorphin pumped make-up less mamacita!

At this point, I just finished my nine mile run this weekend.  I was so proud of myself and super elated that I did it without stopping, unless you count the one time I tried to drink and run at the same time and started choking.  Not advisable.  I need to invest in a cammo pack water carrying thing so I can sip and run as needed.

This is the last leg of my long runs.  Running in Utah, AWESOME!


I'm so excited to finally run in a 1/2 marathon, this will be the 3rd time that I have started training for a 1/2 marathon and I intend to finish it when I cross that stinking finish line.

When I first began this venture, I dreamed of all the pounds I would be shedding... I mean it's about 500 calories a workout, a day, and then the long run on the weekend.  How do you not lose weight.  Well, I've done some studying and it may not be as easy as it looks.  From what I have seen, just exercise alone is not a guarantee that you will lose weight.  It's mostly about the fuel you put into your body.  Sort of like Premium gas vs. Regular unleaded... one will help you to burn more effectively than the other.  Food, in it's basic, utilitarian, non emotional element, is fuel.  So, I've been studying, looking around at what I can do.  And here are my goals for the next two weeks

the road less traveled, more or less... well Utah is full of runners and bike riders


To help myself, I calculated my BMR (how many calories my body needs just to lay around all day) and AMR (how many calories I can eat without gaining any weight because of how active my life is, not including exercise) and know that I can eat between 1350 (BMR)-1600 (AMR) calories a day, plus any extra calories that I burn off in a workout.  So, if I burn off 500 calories I can then eat 1800-2100 calories that day.  I definitely know that I shouldn't go under 1200 calories a day after I subtract the calories that I already burned.  So, if I do a 9 mile run and burn 900 calories I should eat at least 2100 calories that day (2200-900= 1200... there are some diets that go under the 1200 calorie mark but they should never be done for long periods of time and if you do them, you need a plan for the end of the diet.  Going off it without having a healthy way of eating or exercise to replace the diet, you probably will gain back all that you lost.
http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/
(AMR I found in Jillian Michael's book Slim For Life:  My Insider Secrets....)
With that in mind

1.  I will drink H20 before every meal and sometimes even after
2.  I will avoid sugar and Soda Pop
3.  I will count my calories
4.  I will eat grains like quinoa and oatmeal and do my best to avoid pastas and bread
5.  I will have a little protein with every meal or snack
6.  Fruits and Veggies are free

I think that's good for now.  I will keep studying the ins and outs.  And I will post some meals so you have an idea of what I'm doing.  This really is an experiment of sorts for me, figuring out what will or won't work



3 comments:

  1. Andie you look awesome!!!! And you sound awesome. I love seeing you this way. Awesome photos! Great goals! I'm enlightened by the info and simple formulas (and I was trying to stay below 1200...no wonder yikes). And. Food is fuel, yes, but it is also (I believe) necessarily psychological. Not as in Comfort Food, or Addiction/Coping Food, but as in...I've thoughtfully made this lovely, wholesome meal and now I'm savoring it, possibly sharing it with loved ones. Food ought to be, at least sometimes, about grateful pleasure and connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree, that food should be pleasant and enjoyable like that. I just find it helpful to remember, especially when I'm in an unhealthy relationship with food, that the bottom line is... it's fuel. But, I suppose the next step would be to erase the negative emotions and replace them with good healthy emotions like the one you described up above. I'll have to mull that one over in my mind for awhile.

      Delete