Thursday, July 25, 2013

Break the barrier

I ran 3 miles in 25 minutes (on the elliptical).  If I keep at it, I can reach my goal of 24 minutes soon... even 24:30 would be happy for me.  And, I would be pretty super happy if I could run 3 miles in 21 minutes... but... well.... It's very possible that I don't have any fast trigger muscles in my body.  I want to keep my goals realistic without smothering my ability to achieve improbabilities.  They used to think that nobody could break the record for running 1 mile in 4 minutes.  Either way.  As soon as 1 person broke the record, people started doing it all over the place, because the mental block of... it can't be done... was broken.  It could be done.  It took just one person to do the impossible, and pretty soon lot's of people were too.
I think that's a metaphor.  I think that's pretty awesome.  Be the one person to break the boundaries of impossible and make the improbable possible.



It's so easy to believe that Roger Bannister, is not hurting while he runs.  His legs have a liquid smooth stride. It could be easy to believe that his lungs, legs, stomach, head, toe nail aren't hurting.  He has trained for this, so he wouldn't hurt in the way you or I would... but I'm pretty sure that as easy as he makes this look... it isn't.  I think that is what makes us amazing, as humans, when we are hurting physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, socially, but we don't give up.  We don't sit down.  We don't call it in... even if we're dragging ourselves across the finish line, true beauty comes from moving forward despite everything that's pushing us back... that's what gives us strength and courage and force of will and character.

No comments:

Post a Comment