Monday, July 28, 2014

Querida Hermana, quieres dulce comida? (Dearest Sister, do you want sweets?)

So, I know I've talked a lot about sharing the food I eat when I'm trying to be healthy.... because sometimes I'm not really trying at all....


But to be fair, my goal is just to be better and healthier... not perfect.  In lieu of trying to do better, per my sister's request, I will post my healthier cookies that I found in my cookbook for runners.  I've modified the recipe and if you try it, you try it at your own risk (don't worry my kids loved them!) because my directions may be vague and not quite precise!  I guess my next goal is to get my recipes to a place where other people will feel comfortable that the recipe they are following will actually turn out right.  I mean, I made the recipe, and they tasted good and they look good.... but.... well... I'll let my recipe speak, vaguely, for itself.  :)




So, I get the original recipe from:  The Runner's World Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose Wieght, Run Better, and Race Faster.

I've not been using it as often as I should, but what I have used I really like and feel it does a good job of giving you the energy you need for running well, while still being healthy.

Without Further ado here are my Oatmeal Cookies, modified from their Chocolate-oatmeal cookies




6 TBLS butter, at room temperature (you can also use Coconut Oil or a milk free butter which will be yummy!)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 TBLS Honey (they suggest dark honey)
2 eggs
1/2 cup of Gluten Free Flax and Ancient Grains All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup of Almond Flour
1/4 cup of Coconut flour
1/4 cup of walnuts or pecans diced in a Ninja to small, itty bitty, not quite flour pieces.  But, I don't like large pieces in my cookies.  If you do, don't chop em up small!
(These two flours will add a little more Iron and about 14-18 g more protein for the whole recipe, you are welcome to explore and try other flours if you would prefer! But you do at your own risk!)
1 tsp of baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 to 1/4 tsp all spice
1/8 to 1/4 tsp cloves
1 to 2 tsp of cinnamon
(this is where I'm really vague.. it just depends on how much spice you like... I went with the smaller amounts of spice, but I kinda wish I had put a tidge more in)
1/2 cup to 1 cup of Raisins
1/2 cup to 1 cup of Chocolate Chips
Also feel free to add about 1/4 cup of coco powder.... if you do use the Coconut Oil and the coco powder... I probably wouldn't use the spices, but you can... it would most likely taste like an Almond Joy bar without the spices... especially if you used almonds instead of pecans and walnuts!!!!... see, see how I'm getting vague... or is it that I'm becoming expansive.... I'm creating new things with just one recipe, I'm like a culinary adventurer... I don't like being bound down by rule... I"m breaking free and I'm sorry if I've lost you! :)  It's just who I am, I'm okay with this part of me and don't feel a need to fix it right now. :)  Just pretend you went to build a bear, but this is build a cookie and you can add fun things in it like chia seeds, cranberries, spices, raisins, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips... just have fun and know that there is a certain risk with experimenting.... sometimes its amazing and sometimes its not.  Embrace it.


just so you can see what the texture and thickness of your dough should look like, if it's runnier then add more flour, if it's thicker add more liquid like melted butter, melted coconut oil, milk etc etc....


Turn the oven on to 375, grease the cookie sheet or use parchment paper.  and cook for 10-12 minutes... I actually cooked mine at 350 for 10-12 minutes and they turned out well.

All the wet stuff, like the eggs and butter and sugar... mix together first and all the other dry stuff mix together in a bowl and then add it to the wet mixture with a beater.... if you want me to be more specific please go ahead and write me a comment, don't feel silly about it!!!.... I'm just lazy but can help you if you really want to make these cookies but are confused.

After it's all mixed together put them on the tray with a heaping tablespoon.




Now just cook and eat!!!  

oh, right AND I was told recently that in most recipes, if you just 1/2 the sugar they tell you to put in, it will still come out delicious!  I halved the sugar in some no-bakes and nobody would eat them... the texture was wrong.  see what I mean, sometimes its good and sometimes its not.

Lastly,  coconut flour does require more liquid... so if you use a different flour you may need more of it to get the right consistency, unless you use the coconut flour and cocoa powder then it could be drier.... have I confused anyone yet?  Or if you use the regular flour and coco powder it may turn out just right.  Either way.  Don't panic.  You can always add more liquid or flour as needed to get the right texture and consistency.  I keep remembering little things to add on.  Also, the Coconut Oil is temperamental.  I like melting it and mix it with the sugar first, then the eggs and vanilla and honey and then the flour.  If you mix it with something cold it has a tendency to congeal and get hard and then not mix in well... ie: you have little chunks of it rather then having it blend smoothly with the other ingredients... It's also a little more greasy... not in a heavy, yucky kind of greasy... so, you can reduce the amount of Coconut Oil if you want by 1-2 tablespoons... maybe I should just make some that way and write out that recipe for you all too!  Either way, I've always loved my chocolate chip cookies when I've made them with Coconut Oi... they really do taste a lot like Almond Joys!


2 comments: