Monday, June 16, 2014

10k Sucking energy, Medals and Jamba Juice

I just couldn't get them to smile and look at me at the same time... This was the best we could do... Asher, finally told me it was embarrassing and we needed to stop.
The boys were so excited for their race.  Aiden wanted to come too, but Josh was sick and I just wasn't brave enough to bring three boys to a race on my own...we'll have to try again at a different race to have all three boys run... run, being a word and term I use very loosely here.  It was a lot shorter than I thought it would be and Asher, was tugging on one arm the whole time very frantically and impatiently urging us to run faster, "we're going to lose the race!"  He felt that the race might not be worth it if we didn't cross the finish line first... I tried to explain that it didn't matter, there were too many people (ie: we would have needed a good crowd separator to get through... Andre the Giant anyone?  "Everybody Move!"), and we didn't have a timing chip... but none of that matters to a little boy who just wants to prove himself.  Isaac on the other hand, literally, was tugging me to just stop and maybe sit down, or possibly carry me please, because "I'm too tired!"  which only spurred on Asher's anxiety about losing the race.  I almost gave up with my polar opposite near tantruming boys... instead, I kept dragging Isaac and tried to console Asher and keep him interested in just having fun.  It was amazing how everything changed once we crossed the finish line.

Exploring
Once they had their ribbons and medals and a jamba juice in their hands the whole ordeal, suddenly became worth it.  In fact, Asher hid his medal under his sunday shirt and showed it off to his friends there.  It's interesting what we find to be vital to our importance and value as a person.  I'm just stinking proud of both of them and looking forward to trying to be healthier with all my boys.  (Josh included! :) ).



What I loved about my race:
1. I loved seeing the sun rise, I don't see that often enough.  I love the quiet serenity of the morning
2.  I love the people.  Runners are usually a different breed of people, and it seems that interesting things seem to happen when I'm out running.  This time, it was a woman who started talking to me and sharing important, personal details about here life at the starting line.  She was divorced, living with her mother, raising her daughter on her own because she had caught her ex-husband doing drugs.  While it's a strange thing to have someone admit to you... and even more difficult for me because I wasn't sure what to say... I admired her strength and determination to be strong and help her daughter to have a strong and healthy life.
3.  No matter how much pain I'm in... and no matter how much I might not like it at the time... I do like the battle... the battle of mind and spirit over body... pushing yourself, even when you feel like sitting down.  And I did.  Want to sit down.  But I didn't.  Sit down or stop.  This race might have been more difficult, mentally, than my 1/2 marathon.  Maybe it was because shorter races equal faster paces, faster pace... it's just not something I'm great at.  And my stomach hurt, all of it.  And I could tell I hadn't done my training well, my body did not feel strong at all... it felt flimsy and weak.  (speaking of, I really need to go and exercise so my 1/2 marathon doesn't feel this bad!!!) But, like I said... I like the battle... I may not have done exactly how I wanted... but I feel like I gave a good fight... and that's good enough for me right now.

I loved that there were families and friends everywhere, supporting each other.  It was great!
4.  I loved that there is such a variety of people.  Sometimes it's so easy to say, that type of person can run, or dance, or sing, or jump, or play basketball/any sport and that type can't.. but with running... it takes ALL body types and ALL fitness levels... You don't have to be a certain body type to work at being healthy and finish a race.  It really is an open door sort of sport.  I like/love that.  It's inspiring.
5.  I love Jamba Juice and medals hanging on a ribbon.  The Jamba Juice and medal, really did make the race worth it.  I asked Asher and Isaac if they would run another race if they knew they would get another medal and Jamba Juice, to which the emphatically told me yes!  I asked them if they would run even if they didn't get the medal and Jamba Juice...  and no, no running unless there's an award.

Jamba Juice and a medal
What I didn't love about my race:
1.  So many people, sucking the energy out of me when they passed me.  I believe it's a thing... probably has something to do with an unknown physics law, that when you get passed or you pass somebody there is a transferal of energy that goes to the passee.  I try to ignore it.  I try to be okay that the marathoner who started his race hours ago is doing better than I am and passing me.  I try to be okay that the limping lady is faster than I am... it's okay... it's okay.  Or the guy hacking out his lungs.  Or the pregnant lady.... like I said.  It's inspiring right?



Weirdest thing that happened.
1.  I saw someone smoking at the starting line.  It' not a judgement call, smoke if you want... but something about smoking, lungs and running  just doesn't make sense.  That's just me.


Wanting to win the race


No comments:

Post a Comment